Some Photo Fun of Art, Chatter, Crafts, Pets, and Travel... California style ^_^

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Palomar Mountain Observatory

The trip today to LA Garment District was canceled due to rain. That's what we get for not googling the weather, but that's fine. :) I had a nice day relaxing in bed. Here are the rest of the pictures from Palomar Mountain and the Palomar Mountain Observatory.

Spacey :) Although I'm pretty sure there is a reason for this, architecturally.


I need to learn how to take pictures inside and through glass! Anyway, this is a shot of a model of the mirror which is what... well I don't know, it's on the website. Something like the telescope points... somewhere... and the light comes from... some place... and bounces off this mirror and... pow!


I'm great with music, psychology, sociology, and biology... but anything physical science related I am terrible with. Anyways, it was the company Pyrex which figured out a way to make this mirror. Apparently it's not easy to melt that much glass and get it to set properly. I believe I read that polishing the thing took a couple decades. Amazeballs!

Again, but with more of the telescope in the background.


Just missed it! Well maybe next time I'll know what I'm talking about :)

A bust of George Ellery Hale, astronomer, innovator, and founder of many observatories like this. What's Gerard Butler doing ruining my shot??


A nice view outside of the observatory, equipped with camera post:


It works! (taken with my iPhone)


Wider shot of the observatory.


There were signs all over telling people not to pick these plants (in both English and Japanese, no less). People must really like ferns. Regardless, they contributed to some nice scenery.


We found a very special wild Dachsund.


And apparently there was also a Miata meet :)

Notice the copper Corvette on the far right? lol

He would look extra big in one of those cute cars.


Not sure what is happening here:


On the way home, hillside. That pool is ridiculously huge.


And then there are a few more pictures from when we took a strange road and he screamed 'SHIT' because he saw a bobcat. We turned around and drove into some leaves and left all of our stuff in the truck and ran around for a while. I didn't catch him except for his legs as he hid into some trees. Bobkitty shall get his own blog, I'll post the pictures full size (this means I'm serious) and maybe someone can find him?

:( Well WE know he's in there. Somewhere.

<3 Hope to make it to garment district soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment